Friday, October 10, 2008

Fall Festival Time & "I don't think so, Mommy"

This week was the 87th Annual Fall Festival on the west side of Evansville (otherwise known as, every pregnant woman's dream!). Let's just say that 126 food booths, all offering something unique and tasty, was definitely the highlight of this pregnancy for me :) We didn't make it down there quite as much as we used to, just because it is no fun fighting the crowd with a stroller and a sweet little girl in tow. Monday, Chris and I had a "romantic" lunch of chicken and dumplings together sitting on a bench amongst the Kiddy rides (they weren't open for riding yet so there wasn't anyone back there!). It was great!

Addie had her first experience riding a ride on Monday evening when we went down there for dinner. We decided to try out the Merry Go Round first since she likes horses so much. Chris held her on the horse until the ride was almost over and she started saying, "Daddy, sick." She didn't get sick or anything, but I suppose the Merry Go Round just wasn't all it was hyped up to be for her this year. Needless to say, we didn't ride any more rides...thankfully, she may be our kiddo who doesn't mind skipping over that part of the festival.

Now onto the important part: FOOD...I had yummy burgoo and a piece of German chocolate cake for dessert, Chris had a stromboli and burgoo, and Addie scarfed down a tasty grilled cheese sandwich and shared my cake. I hadn't had enough of the deliciousness just from Monday night's trip, so I convinced Chris to go down for supper again last night and I got to have my corn fritters and fried green tomatoes I love so much.

Addie and I went again for lunch today with our friend Josi, who is also 9 months pregnant and due to have her baby any time now. We enjoyed last minute munchies like white chicken chili, chicken tenders, beignets (pronounced ben-yays, they are like a french donut covered with powdered sugar, mmmm), and a fruit haystack. I did not get some of my "staple" items this year, but I didn't want to overdo it either...it can get expensive when you are a hungry mama! We did buy a gallon of burgoo to freeze for those evenings after baby comes when we don't feel like cooking! Can't wait to get into that! So long Fall Festival for another year!



If you haven't already guessed, I made it through this week without having the baby...now I am for sure ready since we are considered full term. I would like to see the ultrasound on Monday, so hopefully bubsis will at least hold off until then. As I get more and more uncomfortable (and grouchy, and patience-limited), Addie is enjoying testing her limits. Starting on Monday, she began saying the phrase, "I don't think so" when asked to do something. It was a bit funny at first, but after having her say it to me several times when I'm trying to get her to cooperate with me, it becomes rather frustrating. "No, Mommy" has also been a big hit for her this week. Or just plain "No," and sometimes "No thank you," even when there is not really an option of yes or no.

Yes, this may be cute to all of you who aren't hearing it repeatedly throughout the day and are about to give birth to another human being. It is definitely wearing on me, but I suppose it is also keeping me from getting too overly emotional that these next couple weeks (or days) could be the last ones spent with just Addie. I must admit that I did have tears in my eyes watching her ride the Merry Go Round for the first time and I have been known to sneak a few tears out when she snuggles up with me after she gets up from her nap! I am trying to overlook her challenging moments and enjoy my little girl who is not going to seem so little in a very short time. *Drip, drip,* go my tears...

1 comment:

The McCrary Family said...

It sounds like you've had a very fun . . . and yummy . . . week! Keep busy, and that baby will be here before you know it. I understand completely on Addie's recent discovery of making up her own mind. It can be so frustrating, especially when you're trying to get moving in the morning to get somewhere and they don't want to cooperate. But, you do have to stop and laugh sometimes because they get to be so stinkin' smart and manipulative about it. She's a sweetie!