Friday, September 12, 2008

Addie Update and Nesting Me

Big Sister with her baby sling

I guess it's only fair that since I added a post updating baby news, I ought to have one for Addie too! She's truly been a hoot lately, especially with her phrases and little antics that make her Addie. "Thank you, Mommy" are my most favorite words these days...it just melts my heart every time she says it and it actually happens more than a few times daily. She loves to play the hiding game and even if you're in the same room but not visible, she yells "Mommy, whe-aw-you, whe-aw-you, Mommy!" The whe-aw-you is "where are you" of course for all those who don't speak Addiese.

Her newest game, which has been a blessing to tired and worn out me, is pretending to serve coffee, lemonade, tea, milk or whatever drink and snack you choose. She has been playing pretend since a very early age, but it has spiraled into a wonderful long-lasting game we all love to play. You see, we have an old trunk that I repainted in our living room and it has a nail poking through the front (not sticking out as to harm anyone, just poking through and flattened into the wood). It started out as a soap dispenser, but is now a spigot for any type of drink you could imagine. If you ask nicely, you may even receive cream and sugar in your coffee if you prefer.

All sorts of objects around our house have become cake, donuts, cookies, and other snack type foods to be served with the specialty drinks. I was feeling really bad that we don't have any play food around here so I broke down and bought some at Wal-mart on Friday. Although it doesn't have the assortment I was hoping for, she has been enjoying it very much and goes straight to it before playing with anything else. If we only had room in our house for a play kitchen...



This weekend was designated fall cleaning/rearranging/organizing/decorating time. I always look forward to putting away all my summer stuff and pulling out the wonderful fall stuff! This is probably my favorite season if I had to pick one. Our living room is rearranged and all of Addie's toys and books are nicely stored on a bookshelf I used to have in my classroom and Chris painted it for me--yay! I feel so much better about bringing a new baby home and we might even have room to put the swing in here now that it's somewhat organized. A big thank you to my husband for putting up with my indecisiveness and grouchiness throughout the big cleaning weekend...and especially thanks for washing all the windows, cleaning the bathrooms, and mopping the kitchen floor (all jobs I HATE doing).

While I've been in super-nesting mode, this morning I decided to go ahead and go through all of Addie's clothes and put away stuff that's too little and dig out all the baby onesies, gowns, and PJs. I am washing everything as I write this ;) Thankfully, everything for a tiny baby is neutral for a boy or girl so we'll save getting out anything "girly" for later if necessary. I would LOVE to be able to use all of Addie's stuff again and not have to buy new, but I suppose it would be kind of fun to add some boy goodies to our stash too :) Someone small really enjoyed going through all of her shoes and trying to put the tiny ones on her big feet. We even dug out the infant car seat and bathtub and she just had to try out the car seat. I think I hurt her feelings when I told her that it was for babies and that she was too big, so I broke down and let her sit in it for a bit.

2 comments:

The McCrary Family said...

I LOVED this post! I loved hearing about Addie playing pretend. I know that you are just loving being a mommy! Your house is gorgeous and spotless, of course. Seems like you're all set for Baby Knight #2. We can't wait to see you!

The Brace Family said...

looks great!! 42 days left!! how are you??