Sunday, July 5, 2009

Summer Fun

We are LOVING summer around here, so I thought I'd share a few of the fun things we've done in the last couple weeks. The heat wave came mid-June this year, rather than waiting until July (as I sit here on July 5th, the thermometer says 70!). One really HOT day back in June, I whipped out the sprinkler and Addie and I ran through it while Lydia was napping. Addie had such a blast and I thoroughly enjoyed getting many action shots of her with the camera. I got a lot of really cool pictures so these are just a few of my favorites. I LOVE her expressions and flailing arms....just a reminder that we all need to let loose and run through the water sometimes :)







The day after running through the sprinkler, Chris got the inflatable pool out of the shed and we filled it up. We spent that entire weekend lounging and playing in the pool as a family. The next weekend, we had a few friends join us in some backyard fun. Check out these cuties in the pool!


Addie, Conner, and Rene (Lydia was napping!)

All the kiddos together (can you tell Lydia JUST woke up?)

On the Friday before the 4th of July, we went to Harmonie State Park in New Harmony with our good friends. We hiked, had a wonderful picnic lunch, played on the playground for a bit, then headed to the pool for some cooling off. The weather was beautiful and the girls all had a blast! We LOVE New Harmony and are so thankful it's not too far of a drive from home!


Chris with the girls on the trail

Addie LOVED going down the slide with Daddy

Lydia with her swimming buddy, Rene

Cheese!

We were for sure that both girls would nap on the way home from New Harmony and Lydia proved us right....Addie however....kept herself wide awake and entertained by putting sunscreen on herself! She was quiet for a few minutes and I hadn't looked back at her for a while, then she says, "Momma, I need a paper towel." When I looked back at her, I saw this:

I burst out laughing and I'm surprised I didn't wake Lydia up I was laughing so hard! We got her all cleaned up and needless to say, she didn't get to play with the sunscreen bottle the rest of the trip home :)

On 4th of July-eve, I was trying to explain to Addie that the next day we would be celebrating "America's birthday" in a way. I told her that we were going to a party and that we would see fireworks later in the day...all to celebrate America's birthday. So in the morning on the 4th, she says to me in the sweetest voice, "Momma, I don't know who America is...does America have eyelashes?" She was going around singing the Happy Birthday song too, still not quite grasping the concept that America is not a person. I did some further explaining and she figured out that America was a place. So on the way to my aunt's house, she asked us if aunt Sheree lived in America and told us that our house was in America....ah, I think she *sort of* got it. As soon as we got there, she asked for some cake so she could celebrate the birthday! I absolutely LOVE this age and the things that come out of her mouth!

After doing lots of celebrating indoors during the day due to rain, we were actually able to go see the fireworks later that evening. We put the girls in their pajamas, made a stop for a special ice cream treat, and then headed to Chris's work to watch the fireworks! Addie enjoyed watching (mostly as she ran around our chairs, probably trying to keep herself awake), but Lydia LOVED them! At first I thought she might sleep through them, but she was alert and kept her eyes on the show the whole time. We had a great time and can't wait to see it again next year!

Lydia LOVING it!

Addie waiting for the show to start

Enjoying the night

No comments: