Friday, October 19, 2007

Mommy-made Pants




I've been feeling "crafty" lately, but have not been really motivated until yesterday. I woke up with a "sewing bug," and I sure don't get those often. You see, my mom bought this pattern and adorable Halloween material to make Addie a pair of pants for this season and I decided it shouldn't just sit around and wait until next year. So before ruining perfectly cute fabric, I decided to practice using some of mom's "stash" (which I will inherit all one day anyway--and it's A LOT, let me tell ya!). Mom picked out a few prints that might be fun to try--not to mention, they are truly from when I was a little girl and I actually had a dress made out of some of it when I was about 2 or 3 (so we're talking 24+ year old fabric here!).


I returned home to get started during Addie's naptime and I was just sure I would get these done in time for her to try them on upon waking. Haha. I've done several quilts and other blankets of sorts, but this would be my first GARMENT (other than making doll clothes without a pattern when I was younger). First off, I'm totally not good at following directions or visualizing how something is put together on my own--probably why I'm a good teacher because I understand how kids with attention problems and learning disabilities feel! I am a "Do-er" and have to either learn by my own mistakes or have someone show me exactly step-by-step how to do something. Neither of those methods were working for me yesterday. At one point, I threw the pants down and surrendered by calling my mom. She could tell me exactly what I did wrong before I even explained my problem (apparently, I'm not the only person in the world who has ever experienced this issue).

Once I got myself straightened out, it was a breeze. I finished the pants after Addie went to bed last night and she tried them on this morning--ADORABLE, if I do say so myself. There will be several pairs to follow now that I know what I'm doing. Here begins another obsession for me--finding fun material for pants and coordinating shirts for my little lady!!!
Future Quilter!"Window Kiss"--thought this was too cute!

1 comment:

Cheryl Troxel said...

The pants are so cute! Can I put in an order? Or can you show me how to make them? You are too cute!