Friday, October 5, 2007

Donkeys, Fall Festivals, and Termites

First of all, sorry for the random playlist that doesn't work in the middle (or is it still at the top?) of my blog. I was trying to be "techy" and upload (or is it download?) some of my favorite songs for you to enjoy as you try to concentrate on reading my entries. I figured out how to put it over on the side, where I really want it, but now I'm not sure how to delete the one that is just taking up space on this beautiful page! Mikey!!! Help!!!


Donkeys are fun and interesting animals, right? Well, Addie got to meet her first Donkey friend on Wednesday. You see, one of her Godmothers lives out in the boonies on a gorgeous chunk of land where it's okay to own a donkey for no good reason at all. Linda, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to own a donkey, I'm just not sure why you do--but I LOVE IT (the idea of having a donkey, that is)!! Anyway, I was just thinking the other day that Addie has never seen a real horse--we didn't make it that far down at the county fair this summer and we didn't get around to taking that carriage ride at Cade's Cove I was hoping for on our vacation. So she met a donkey...forgive me, I've forgotten his name! Sweetest donkey I've ever met though!


There is good reason why we were so far out of the city at Linda's house this week---the 100,000th annual Westside Nut Club Fall Festival is going on this week on Franklin Street. Now for those of you who are not from around here (and it's not really the 100,000th annual, but it's been around for a long time!), you need to know about this festival. It's not just any old carnival or Fall gathering...it happens to be the 2nd largest street festival in the US (1st is Mardi Gras)! Impressive for a city like Evansville, huh?

There are hundreds of food booths with items such as Fried Oreos, Chocolate covered bananas on a stick, Haystacks, Pronto pups, Chicken and Dumplings, Fried Green Tomatoes...basically anything fried and not good for you. It was heaven last year when I was 6 months pregnant! The good thing about the fall festival is that it's close by: approximately 4.5 driving minutes from our house, 2 walking minutes from Chris' work, and 1.5 walking minutes from our church. The bad thing is that it's close by: approximately 4.5 driving minutes from our house, 2 walking minutes from Chris' work, and 1.5 walking minutes from our church. We're excited about it the whole week before it's here and by about Tuesday (the 2nd day), we're over it, Chris especially. Carnie campers line the streets down by Chris' work and it is just no fun to navigate around that area when people are trying to park places they shouldn't, etc. Enough of my babble.


Here is Addie during one of her 3 outings to the Fall Festival. We only went one evening (Monday) and the other two times were at lunch when it was less crowded (hahaha, no such luck).



Today is Friday and it's just been one of those boring, ho-hum kind of days around here. Addie and I have caught Chris' cold and we are both a bit stuffed up and congested. In fact, she is just waking up from a 2-stage, 2 hour nap. 2-stage meaning that she woke up after the first hour and I rocked her back to sleep for the second stage. She seems happy now, despite the dried, crusty snot beneath her precious nose. I'm going to invent an aspirator that has as much strength as an electric breast pump, for goodness sake!


So this afternoon amidst playing some of the usual games like "crawl over Mommy" and "chase the dog across the room," she decided to eat the coffee table. My mom is deathly worried that she is going to injure herself on the corners of this thing, but I say, "Lookout coffee table--there's a Nonner on the loose!" I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about termites eating us out of house and home in the literal sense, we have Addie to do that!

1 comment:

mbk said...

I can help out on the tech stuff next week sometime. I'm so excited for fall break!