Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Blog About My Blog...


Okay, here's the thing...I now realize that when a person blogs, he or she is secretly being critiqued by all of his or her readers (especially English major mothers and apparently brother-in-laws). As sweet as I am, I invited my dearest brother-in-law, Mikey, to join in the fun and read my/our blog (everyone knows it's really mine because it's a great way for me to vent/secretly brag about how much I love being a mommy, plus it's great "adult" time for me...tangent officially over!).


Anyway, I wanted to apologize in advance for any mistakes I make as a blogger. I am new to this creepy world of writing and I may goof up sometimes. Like for example, in my second blog (and probably my first one, but I didn't look back at it), I didn't use very many paragraphs and I created a "daunting wall of writing" (Michael B. Knight, 2007)...which by the way I'm going to a new one right now so I don't create that same daunting look.


So, back to my point now that I'm completely sidetracked. I tend to think of myself as a pretty good writer. I was raised by an English major who taught me how to use tenses correctly (broke, broken...seen, saw, etc.) and I am very picky when it comes to grammar errors. In fact, apparently at the young age of 3, I told Santa that "we don't use ain't." Mikey, is it time for a new paragraph now? Okay.


I was also taught in school that paragraphs should have topic sentences and stick to that idea throughout then transition to the next topic for the following paragraph. What the heck is that all about anyway? Yes, I taught the Yankeetown first graders all that bizarky, but I also taught them to write how they talk and use "voice." That is my main intent on this blog...especially for those of you who don't get to see me very often. I am sharing my personal life stories with you all and I'm so sorry if pictures are jumbled, paragraphs are too long, or heaven forbid I make any grammatical mistakes. (My mother will be cringing if this ever happens, in fact, she's probably cringing right now because I'm not sure how to spell "cringe" and it's probably wrong, but I honestly don't give a hoot!). Oh my, new paragraph time.


Enough of my vent session. I just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention that I DO realize that humans are not perfect (especially me) and my blog is certainly not going to be like yours, Mikey, but thanks for the offer to proofread and edit for me anyway! Love ya dear! I promise I will get the hang of this eventually!!! Does this look better?

Isn't he sweet??? Couldn't get this text to center so I'm writing more so it appears that it wasn't supposed to be.

2 comments:

Cheryl Troxel said...

Are you kidding? My blog is riddled with grammatical errors (and it probably drives the Troxels crazy!). My opinion is that blogging is like a very non-private journal. You share your life in what ever paragraph form you choose. I wouldn't stress about the details, the beauty is in the stories and memories:)

mbk said...

That entry made me laugh a lot. Good job :P. I liked the mention of this "Mikey" character too. He sounds like a cool cat.